Planning your visit
Use this page to help plan a visit to the Great North Museum: Hancock.
The Great North Museum: Hancock is open daily with FREE entry for a great value day out.
|Monday||10am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||10am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||10am - 5pm|
|Thursday||10am - 5pm|
|Friday||10am - 5pm|
|Saturday||10am - 4pm|
|Sunday||11am - 4pm|
- Free entry for a great value day out.
- Last entry is 15 minutes before closing time.
- Please note that opening times differ for the Mouse House.
- The Library is open Monday – Thursday, 10am – 2pm (except bank holidays).
- On weekday mornings during term time the museum is often busy with school groups. If you would like a quieter experience, we recommend visiting after 2.30pm.
- Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years’ Day.
- We are based on Newcastle University campus in the north of Newcastle city centre. Our address is:
Great North Museum: Hancock
Newcastle upon Tyne
- There is no public car parking on site so we'd recommend using the Tyne & Wear Metro to travel to the museum. The nearest station is Haymarket. Find out more about travelling to the museum.
- The external platform lift on the right side of the building is out of order. Please use the accessible ramp on the left side of the building, which has two accessible routes: one from Claremont Road and one at the front left corner of the museum. These routes provide level access to the front entrance with power assisted doors.
Please call us before your visit on (0191) 208 6765 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss your needs.
During your visit
- Our café is open, serving hot and cold refreshments.
- During the school holidays, we provide an indoor picnic space.
- Please help us maintain hygiene and protect our collections by not eating or drinking in any other area of the museum.
- Our shop is a great place to pick up a memento of your visit with a range of products from dinosaur soft toys to books covering a range of the subjects explored in the museum.
- Find out more about our exhibitions and events.
- If you wish to bring a school or college group to the museum, please contact the Learning team who will be able to discuss your visit requirements directly with you.
- Email: email@example.com.
Visiting with a family?
Summer holiday groups
We love welcoming groups during the summer and there’s lots to do! Please click here to plan a summer holiday group visit to the Museum.
- Help us ensure art, culture and heritage continue to make a positive impact in our region.
- Donate today. Thank you!
Need to find a toilet on the way to the Museum?
Need to find a toilet on the way to the Museum? Click here to visit the The Great British Public Toilet Map, a database of publicly-accessible toilets.