Planning your visit
Use this page to help plan a visit to the Great North Museum: Hancock.
- This summer, there is scaffolding at the front entrance of the museum because we're cleaning and repointing the stonework. We're open as usual every day so please come on in!
|Monday||10am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||10am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||10am - 5pm|
|Thursday||10am - 5pm|
|Friday||10am - 5pm|
|Saturday||10am - 4pm|
|Sunday||11am - 4pm|
- Free entry for a great value day out.
- No need to book, just drop in.
- Last entry is 15 minutes before closing time.
- The Library is open Monday - Thursday, 10am - 2pm.
- On weekday mornings during term time the museum if often busy with school groups. If you would like a quieter experience, we recommend visiting after 2.30pm.
- We are based on Newcastle University campus in the north of Newcastle city centre. Our address is:
Great North Museum: Hancock
Newcastle upon Tyne
- There is no public car parking on site so we'd recommend using the Tyne & Wear Metro to travel to the museum. The nearest station is Haymarket. Find out more about travelling to the museum.
- As Covid restrictions are lifted we want to make sure your visit is as safe and enjoyable as possible so some measures will continue.
- Our staff will give visitors extra space and we encourage visitors to respect others’ space.
- We support staff and visitors who would like to continue wearing face coverings in the museum, but this is optional.
- We will monitor numbers to ensure the museum does not become too crowded.
- We will maintain increased cleaning in public areas.
- If you do have symptoms of coronavirus or you have tested positive for Covid-19, please do not visit the museum.
- This summer, there is scaffolding at the front entrance of the museum because we're repointing the stonework. We're open as usual every day so please come on in!
- We are sorry that the platform lift at the right side of the entrance and two disabled parking bays are out of service until September 2022 due to the ongoing works. Find out more about accessibility at the museum.
- The Mouse House will be closed until 1pm on Wednesday 20 July 2022 for maintenance. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
During your visit
- Our café is open, serving hot and cold refreshments.
- During the school holidays, we provide an indoor picnic space.
- Please help us maintain hygiene and protect our collections by not eating or drinking in any other area of the museum.
- Our shop is a great place to pick up a memento of your visit with a range of products from dinosaur soft toys to books covering a range of the subjects explored in the museum.
- Find out more about our exhibitions and events.
- If you wish to bring a school or college group to the museum, please contact the Learning team who will be able to discuss your visit requirements directly with you.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This remains a very difficult time for us. Help us ensure art, culture and heritage continue to make a positive impact in our region.
- Donate today. Thank you!